LIC and the University of Patras is among the pioneers of Open Access in Greece. Since 2004 LIC was active in the area of Open Access at European and national level, participating in events, initiatives and partnerships and developing services and Contents. Open Access is now University of Patras’ selection strategy with main targets:
- the organization and systematic recording of the scientific and research work being done by the members of the institution along with the management and dissemination to the community
- the creation and distribution of digital scientific content in Greek.
- the development and provision of services and tools to the Greek scientific community in order to improve communication and dissemination of the produced research work.
The main areas of LIC’s actions in Open Access are:
- Promotion of policies and actions
- Horizontal / collaborative actions
- The management of the Institutional Repository “Nemertes”
- The management and distribution of the Digital Archives of Greek Journals
- Pasithee: the e-publishing platform
The basic principles governing the relevant actions of LIC are:
- Open access content
- Partnerships with developers or content providers
- Using open technologies, software applications and standards
- National and international collaborations
- Long-term maintenance and preservation of digital content
- Dissemination of the research work of the institution in the community
LIC in its effort to support Open Access has signed licenses with BioMed and Royal Society. Based on these licenses, the scientific community of the University of Patras is benefited with a discount in the Article Processing Charges, while their work is published in Open Access scientific journals, ensuring high visibility and maximum exposure to the entire global research community.